POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Set complement : Re: Set complement Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set complement
From: scott
Date: 5 Feb 2014 03:39:46
Message: <52f1f8d2$1@news.povray.org>
> Hypothetically we *are* a "software company". Oh and hey, we do have
> planning meetings. Trouble is, the estimation process is roughly
> "everybody picks a number, and we see if the numbers look similar". That
> still doesn't seem very scientific. Then again, when you're asked to
> produce a new feature and you have no idea what libraries might be
> available to help you or what OS-specific hiccups will trip you up, what
> more can you do?

You iron out those issues in the "investigation" phase of the project,
or whatever you want to call it. Here we call it Phase 3, which is the
engineers scratching the surface, doing some rudimentary testing etc,
and providing very specific deliverables at the end, which includes a
detailed time schedule. Phase 4 is then where all the detail work gets
done, of course you'll hit hiccups, but hopefully during phase 3 you
minimised the risk of any big ones and identified the things most likely
to trip you up.

Although we do products that consist of mechanical, electrical and
software elements, I assume a similar development process is in use for
software-only products. I can imagine phase 3 being selecting which
libraries to use and doing some basic testing on them, identifying any
high-risk areas and doing some testing on those, planning a framework
for the product etc.