POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Set complement : Re: Set complement Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set complement
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Feb 2014 21:07:55
Message: <52f19cfb$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:41:08 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> He might also be looking to see if he gets a different answer.
>
> I... don't think he has sufficient brainpower to attempt such a thing. I
> get the impression he's just very excitable and easily distracted.

Perhaps, but I have seen some people act very flaky just for this
reason.  The CEO I was talking about earlier might well be in that
category as well.

>> I might counter it by saying "we talked about this a couple weeks ago -
>> here's a summary of the conversation."  Do it enough times, and he'll
>> remember.
>
> Heh, perhaps.

Might be an interesting thing to try.

>>> Is there a way of doing that which is more accurate than sticking your
>>> finger in the air?
>>
>> Of course there is.  Google "PMP" and "project estimation".  Software
>> companies do this all the time.
>
> Hypothetically we *are* a "software company". Oh and hey, we do have
> planning meetings. Trouble is, the estimation process is roughly
> "everybody picks a number, and we see if the numbers look similar". That
> still doesn't seem very scientific. Then again, when you're asked to
> produce a new feature and you have no idea what libraries might be
> available to help you or what OS-specific hiccups will trip you up, what
> more can you do?

Do the numbers seem to be reasonably accurate when the thing they're for
are done?

The way estimating tends to be done on projects is using a weighted
average - best case/worst case/likely case, with the likely case weighted.

> (We do seem to consistently over-estimate how long anything related to
> C++ will take, which is... surprising. You would have thought we would
> be *under-estimating* that.)

You could take the average over-estimate and figure that into your
estimates as well.  That might help identify a realistic estimate
(indeed, that's how it's generally done).

>> Do you have a product manager?
>
> Our entire company is ten people. We don't have a lot of anything much.

Even still, someone should be functioning in the role of a product
manager, even if it's not their full time job.  Someone who manages the
release schedule, feature documentation, etc.

It's not surprising, though, that in a small company nobody's doing that
- just that the small companies that do that tend to be a bit more
organised. :)

> Realistically, it is quite hard to figure out what customers and
> potential customers *actually want*. I'm sure most companies have this
> problem. Then again, most companies probably have a marketing
> department...

True.  But marketing isn't about gathering requirements, that's a sales
job, and an engineering job.  It's important for a product manager (in
particular) to be in touch with the customer base and prospective
customer base in order to identify what features customers want and need
(and to differentiate between the two, because they're not the same).

> There are some specific features which the MD is *desperate* to have,
> that (as far as we can tell) no customer has ever been remotely
> interested in. And that's what kind of amuses us sometimes.

If it were me, I might be inclined to ask what it is about that feature
that he thinks customers would like.  It could be that there's a value
proposition there, and he's just not sharing it for some reason.  If he
can be made to look at it from a customer's perspective (he wouldn't have
been a customer at some point in his career, would he?), he might either
see the feature as pointless (but interesting), or he might help others
see why it would be valuable.

>>> Then again, our business model is the extraction of money from people
>>> who, by definition, have constant budget cuts, so...
>>
>> Which seems to still work pretty well - from a sales perspective, the
>> way you sell to customers like that is to show them that by spending
>> money, they save money.
>
> My point being, if they have no money, it doesn't MATTER how much money
> they could be saving. We are not getting a sale. End of.

Only if you don't have the price point right.

Most companies respond very well to demonstrations that if they spend
£1,000, it'll save them £5,000.  But you have to have data to back such a
claim up - if you make the claim and there's no data, then they'll think
you're lying.

A good salesperson is going to be able to take data like that and spin it
into (without explicitly saying it) "you'd be stupid not to spend the
money with us."

Jim