POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : star WIP 2 : Re: star WIP 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: star WIP 2
From: Alain
Date: 2 Feb 2014 14:32:26
Message: <52ee9d4a$1@news.povray.org>

> Sean Day <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
>> LanuHum wrote:

>>> Why? Star created, and seaweed you can't?
>>> I liked the picture.
>>>

>> Thanks, I am trying to write a macro to create the seaweed, everything
>> in the scene is made with the Povray SDL so no external modellers. The
>> starfish and limpets/barnacles are blobs, everything else is made from
>> isosurfaces (except the water which is a box).
>>
>> So far all my attempts at seaweed have not looked so good.
>>
>> Sean
>
> First: the image is wonderful, really wonderful. But I wonder a bit about the
> seaweed. The scene must be at a beach. Is there seaweed so close to the beach?
> My last visits to a beach is years ago and there is not much seaweed between the
> mainland and the islands at East Frisia, where my sister lives. From experiences
> long ago I ever had the impression that seaweed grows only in deeper areas
> covered by water independend of the tides. But I may be wrong with that. My next
> experience with beaches will be during my holydays this summer, but after the
> contest, at a place called Mevagissey. I propose that you take a look at an
> other very beautiful beach scene published within the irtc June 2005 titled
> "wreck" by an author you should know.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

Sea weeds grow in relatively shallow water and is often exposed during
low tides. They are realy large algaes.
It also tend to grow on large rocky formations, especialy in areas
affected by the tides. I remember a low tide rocky "island" that was
totaly covered by a thick blanket of sea weeds. The only way of walking
in it was bare foot. Otherwise, it was just to slippery.
In deeper water where tides are not a factor and with low currents, it
may grow on softer surfaces like sand or mud.

Here, we have mostly sand with several, relatively small, rocks. It's
not a place that sea weeds like, you'd mostly see sea weeds fragments
floating in the water, if any.

In fresh water, you have submarine plants that roots in sand, mud and
clay, but those are not sea weeds. Those plants will quickly die in sea
water.
The two are often confounded. In fresh water, algaes are microscopic,
often unicellular, plants.

Alain