POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurface problem : Re: Isosurface problem Server Time
14 May 2024 12:50:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface problem
From: Doctor John
Date: 30 Jan 2014 07:04:19
Message: <52ea3fc3$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/01/14 10:30, John Greenwood wrote:
> I have created an isosurface with _exactly_ the shape I want, but there is one
> region where generation breaks down, I think because of surfaces coinciding.
>
> Any suggestions?

John, I've realised why you are having a bit of difficulty with getting
the max_gradient right for your isosurfaces.

In v3.6, a warning was issued if you had set max_gradient too high or
too low. In v3.7, that behaviour became broken (something to do with
thread safety). In
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C51c55b9f%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=384497
some work-rounds are suggested but I can't get them to work.

If you want to get the old behaviour you will have install v3.6 in
parallel with v3.7. You then get warnings such as:
> Shutdown Warning: The maximum gradient found was 29.821, but max_gradient of the
>  isosurface was set to 10.000. The isosurface may contain holes! Adjust
>  max_gradient to get a proper rendering of the isosurface.

If you're running Windows, I can't help with installing 3.6 along with
3.7; if, however, you're running Linux it's easy:
1. Download v3.6 source
2. ./configure, make but don't make install.
3. cd /usr/local/bin; sudo mv povray povray37
4. Return to your 3.6 source directory
5. sudo make install
6. cd /usr/local/bin; sudo mv povray povray36
You now have povray36 and povray37 as commands. Simples!

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents