POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress : Re: Progress Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Progress
From: scott
Date: 29 Jan 2014 11:18:21
Message: <52e929cd@news.povray.org>
>> FWIW my pi music player runs in 1920x1080x32bpp very nicely. I put it
>> down to Linux trying to do far too much stuff in the background that is
>> unnecessary for a simple music player on a pi.
>
> Drawing efficiently at those resolutions requires hardware support,
> which means that the OS requires optimized graphic drivers for the
> particular hardware.
>
> If one OS is drawing fast and another isn't, that tells me that there
> is no proper graphics driver for the latter.

The actual situation is the other way around. Under raspbian you have
access to the GPU to do all sorts of accelerated things, which is how
xbmc it manages to play back 1080p video smoothly and render 3D
visualisations for the music. Under RiscOS you don't have access to
this, you only have a framebuffer to read and write bytes to using the
CPU. The developers only just added beta support for having two frame
buffers and being able to swap between the two.

The reason the GUI is so sluggish on raspbian must be due to some other
reason. Perhaps it's using too much RAM and using a swap file instead,
something RiscOS definitely can't do.