POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tango : Re: Tango Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tango
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Jan 2014 09:25:17
Message: <52e90f4d$1@news.povray.org>

> You've done something wrong if you have a single gigabyte-sized CATIA
> file. I expect what they had was a large assembly (consisting of a large
> number of much smaller CATIA files) and were attempting to send the
> entire set of files every day. I've worked somewhere before that did
> that between UK and Japan, but the total assemblies were only <20MB so
> it worked ok (apart from the version control problems...).

Ok fine, I should have written "gygabytes of CATIA files".   It's been
20 years since I played with CATIA, so my knowledge of the file
structure is somewhat shady.

The design of this setup had the Indians accessing the files (on servers
that were in Canada), verifiy that they conformed to various standards,
flag non-conformities for review, and then move to the next file.

A 20MB file is 16M bits.  At 1500bits per packet, it means ~ 110,000
packets.  If the round trip takes 200-400ms per packet, then it takes
20,000 seconds, or more than 6 hrs, ignoring link congestion and other
technicalities, for someone to open the file from India.

Which meant that an Indian could only review 2, or maybe 3 files per
day, making this outsourcing deal completely worthless as the
productivity of an Indian worker paid $15/day was worse than that of a
Canadian intern paid $15/hr.

that why I said that "The Cloud" may help one manager work on his
monthly report while on the train back home in the evening, and
technically allows you to access your files from anywhere, but it
doesn't solve everyone's problem.

> However, lots and lots companies work on much larger assemblies across
> multiple sites (eg car and plane manufacturers), so this problem has
> been solved already.

I know that.  For instance, the suspension components of the Ferrari F1
cars is (used to be?) designed in my building in Montreal, and they had
no issues with being on a different continent than the rest of the
Scuderia staff.