POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunning views of Himilayas from Space! : Re: Stunning views of Himilayas from Space! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunning views of Himilayas from Space!
From: scott
Date: 29 Jan 2014 08:15:26
Message: <52e8feee$1@news.povray.org>
> However, leaving aside the question of legality, there is still the
> question of politeness. Surely, it is only good etiquette to ask the
> owner of the image copyright for permission before publishing - this
> goes for copylefted content as well.

Agree with you completely John. My queries are more related to doing
this for profit, when the party you are linking to are trying to force
you to pay some horrendous fee (which you can't afford) or take you to
court if you don't stop.

A concrete example, say you are developing a paid-for financial
application for people to keep track of all their accounts, stocks,
pensions etc. One operation you would like to incorporate is for the
user to see the previous performance of any of their investments. To do
this you allow the user to click a menu option in your app and then get
taken to the Yahoo finance web page for that particular investment. Do
Yahoo have any legal standing to force your app to stop doing that
behaviour?