POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tango : Re: Tango Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tango
From: scott
Date: 29 Jan 2014 03:30:58
Message: <52e8bc42$1@news.povray.org>
> There are times when you need local processing oomphf,

So have a standard PC at each location you work, rather than a docking
station and then physically carrying the CPU/GPU/RAM/HD between each
location. If you need to transfer a large amount of data in the time it
takes you to move between the two locations, then take a USB stick.

> and even with
> cloud-based services, the size of the planet has not changed.  If you
> save your files to "the cloud" from your home in europe, they'll
> probably reside on a server in Europe.  Stepping off the plane in
> Singapour and trying to work on those files from the hotel will suck.
> Tremendously.

If you're working in a hotel you're going to be carrying a laptop
anyway, so the device in the OP is not really any advantage. Besides,
unless every hotel had that exact brand and model of docking station,
you'd need to carry that too (and a screen).

> One of our customers found this out the hard way a few years ago when
> they tried to offshore part of their engineering dept to India, and
> quickly realized that sharing gigabyte-sized CATIA files between
> North-America and India, every day wouldn't work, simply due to the
> network lag.

You've done something wrong if you have a single gigabyte-sized CATIA
file. I expect what they had was a large assembly (consisting of a large
number of much smaller CATIA files) and were attempting to send the
entire set of files every day. I've worked somewhere before that did
that between UK and Japan, but the total assemblies were only <20MB so
it worked ok (apart from the version control problems...).

However, lots and lots companies work on much larger assemblies across
multiple sites (eg car and plane manufacturers), so this problem has
been solved already. Even CATIA itself (and various 3rd party software)
will allow you to only download the sub-assembly you are working on
(using simplified representations of large sub-assemblies if needed) and
then upload only the modified parts when you are done.