POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tango : Re: Tango Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tango
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 28 Jan 2014 13:00:27
Message: <52e7f03b$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Interesting idea with the heat sink design, what would be better is to
>>> have a screen and a "low power" mode so you could use it as a smartphone
>>> without any docking station.
>>
>> I thought so, too.
>
> Although thinking about it a bit more, why exactly would you want to
> take the same physical PC "core" around with you? With cloud-based
> services and faster internet speeds nowadays is there really a big need
> for this?

The dumb terminal connected to a powerful central computer vs.
distributed computing debate still rages on.

There are times when you need local processing oomphf, and even with
cloud-based services, the size of the planet has not changed.  If you
save your files to "the cloud" from your home in europe, they'll
probably reside on a server in Europe.  Stepping off the plane in
Singapour and trying to work on those files from the hotel will suck.
Tremendously.

One of our customers found this out the hard way a few years ago when
they tried to offshore part of their engineering dept to India, and
quickly realized that sharing gigabyte-sized CATIA files between
North-America and India, every day wouldn't work, simply due to the
network lag.