POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Jan 2014 16:30:13
Message: <52e2db65$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/23/2014 11:03 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> It seems to be constrained by the idea that if someone else's religious
> beliefs/faith aren't affecting me, it doesn't matter.  If it does, then
> it's not a matter of faith any more, then it's a matter of "effects in
> the real world that impact one personally" and a different set of
> guidelines apply.

This is a perfectly reasonable stance, until you recognize that humans
are social animals, which means that, in some indirect way, its likely
that their beliefs "will" have an impact, even if its only as nebulous a
one as paying money into something silly, which directs money away from
something more useful, or something more direct, but still not
specifically targeted at "you", like who they elect to a political
office. However, such things can also result in more direct, but hidden
issues, like them convincing someone to not hire you, or the like, or
undermining your goals, in other ways, on the basis that you disagree
with them on religious principles.

And, to be frank, there is the absolutely direct issue, which comes from
my belief that a certain founding father was being naive when saying
that his neighbors beliefs mean nothing, since having a different idea
neither breaks his legs, nor steals his wallet - that his neighbor's
neighbor may be planning both, and justifying it "with" their belief.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get