POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jan 2014 01:08:49
Message: <52e20371@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:49:44 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> And, well, it gets a bit worse than that, because its not the toaster
> telling them this, its someone else, who told them that the toaster
> thought it was the case. So.. technically, they may not be "insane"
> themselves, but they are never the less following an idea that really
> truly is insane.

I think it comes down to what andrel was saying about trusting a prophet
to have interpreted things correctly if you haven't been in direct
contact with your deity - and if you have, that you may have interpreted
things incorrectly as well.

Because interaction with a supernatural being is not verifiable.  What
transpired isn't verifiable, so it can mean anything you say it means.

Some of the more religious that I've talked to about this in the past
have said that it has to do with "internal consistency" when it comes to
the bible (and I think they extend that to the deity telling you to do
things that aren't compatible with the bible), but I've always found that
to be a bit of a cop-out, because I have studied the bible a bit myself
(I was raised Lutheran), and I found a fair number of inconsistencies
myself.  The two faces of God (the forgiving one of the NT and the
vengeful one of the OT) is the biggest example, and I've had the debates
and arguments over the years about "no, it's not inconsistent" - and the
arguments did not persuade me (so for those thinking this time may be
different:  probably not, and I don't really have the time for a deep
discussion of it now anyways).

Jim