POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jan 2014 01:03:34
Message: <52e20236$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:59:23 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>>> Hmm. Pretty sure its a valid concept to disrespect the right that
>>> someone else thinks they have, to say.. shoot me, or like.. a lot of
>>> other things. Seems to me that there is just.. a tiny flaw in the
>>> logic some place. ;)
>>
>> No, it's just that conflicting cases are not covered by §1, and other
>> paragraphs - derived not from the basic agnostic position but from the
>> personal belief - have to kick in.
>>
> Sorry, but.. I don't want to be shot isn't a "personal belief". One
> can't exactly be agnostic about certain things and not be.. inhuman, or
> insane, or, at minimum, anti-social/destructive.

I think what clipka is saying is that his rules apply to things relating
to religious faith (or lack thereof), but that's not the only factor.
Not wanting to be shot isn't a matter of faith, it's a matter of personal
preference, so it's not covered by those rules.

It seems to be constrained by the idea that if someone else's religious
beliefs/faith aren't affecting me, it doesn't matter.  If it does, then
it's not a matter of faith any more, then it's a matter of "effects in
the real world that impact one personally" and a different set of
guidelines apply.

Have I understood you correctly, clipka?  I find it interesting.

Jim