POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jan 2014 08:02:05
Message: <52e112cd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.01.2014 11:56, schrieb Stephen:
>> Am 21.01.2014 08:14, schrieb Stephen:
>>> Maybe not faith but sincerely hopes that there is not one.
>>
>> Sounds like a theist to me, as "sincerely hopes" to me implies that he
>> suspects (and, in this case, probably fears) otherwise.
>
> "Suspects otherwise" Too strong a sentiment IMO. Maybe the person in question
> (me) knows that he has been wrong about things before. And will certainly be
> wrong about things in the future. Also since there is no spoon, oops! sorry
> proof. One cannot tell until the dark dog comes calling.
> As for "hoping", who wants to be beholden to the evil* thing that I hear and
> read about called the god of love? Unless the God we hear about is not the
> omnipresent,  omnipotent and omniscient entity were are assured that It is.

As I said, "sincerely hopes" to me implies that the person is also
sincerely worried that he/she might be wrong. Which in turn implies that
the person considers it more than just a theoretic possibility. If
that's not what you meant, then what I wrote doesn't apply.

>> Probably a promising approach if he wants to acquire some psychological
>> ailment or another. Or a sign that he already has.
>
> Ah! That reads "If you do not agree with <insert whatever here> then you are mad
> or twisted." But I am sure that you did not mean that. **

No, indeed not. More like: "Being genuinely afraid of any supreme being
you suspect to exist may lead to severe depression, fear disorder,
and/or other psycho stuff you don't want." And: "It may itself be an
expression of some earlier psychological trauma."

> ** What is so great about being "normal" anyway?

Nothing. Everyone's got some mental quirks; being "normal" just means
hiding them. (Which, by the way, is a promising approach for developing
them into full-fledged ailments.)