POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Jan 2014 15:04:53
Message: <52ded2e5@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2014 9:35 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> And also:  Texas Board of Education.  If the individuals want to cripple
> their own childrens' understanding of science and handicap them in the
> real world, that's less a decision I feel I should get involved in.  When
> they use their influence to cram religious dogma into the public schools
> in ways that affect the entire country - no, they're not permitted to do
> that.
>
> Jim

And.. When there is a popular movement, like say.. McCarthyism, which
does the same thing to, by, say, introducing revisionist history, which
distorts the truth about both their own actions, and the actions of
those they are apposed to, then... does it suddenly become OK because
the "majority" is now supporting the wide spread proliferation of the
resulting dogma?

See, that is the problem. As long as the "group" is small,
inconsequential, and only impacts their own members, its fine. But, it
often doesn't stay that way, and there are serious consequences to,
gee.. the spread of hyper-capitalist, pro-corporate, US libertarianism,
which presumes that "looters" are only ever poor people, or
anti-communism, which goes so far as to undermine social programs, on
the basis that "all" social programs are destructive to the nation, and
so on. Oh, and lets also mention the new rise of snake oil sales, and
its near total deregulation, as well as the unwillingness to call
"alternative medicine" what it really is, which is a scam, that has been
proven to not only not work as described, but kill people, where their
problems are ones that don't go away on their own, given enough time.

It can be a.. fuzzy problem to deal with, but there are objectively
better, and worse, things to "allow" people to push on themselves, and,
yes, each other, and their kids. Its why we have laws specifically
restricting a lot of things, and some of those things where, briefly,
illegal (like most of the altie med/supplement stuff), until it was
unintentionally let loose again.

Its kind of like the whole physic nonsense. For a while, there was a
concerted effort to crack down on it, because it "did" have a major
impact on people, financially or otherwise, and was deemed dangerous
enough to do something about. Then, someone gave them a loophole. You
can still charge for a "performance", that is "for entertainment", and
unless you get sued over it... its all OK to still charge people, as
long as its "small" amounts. It only becomes a "scam", somehow, if you
charge them thousands (but, not if its for TV).

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get