POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Jan 2014 18:38:02
Message: <52ddb35a$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:17:34 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Maybe. I still think the problem is bigger than just tweaking school
> slightly. Like, we need to make the entire populas regard knowledge and
> skill as valuable things again, rather than something that only socially
> inept dweebs are about...

I think you're right - there needs to be a cultural shift towards
recognising that brains are important.  Skills are also important, but
some skills are more valuable for accomplishing things beyond just
entertainment.

That said, I have a lot of respect for Shaquille O'Neill.  Not because
he's a basketball star.  He holds a Ed.D. in Human Resource Development.
He not only went to school, but he pursued a doctorate in professional
development, which is a field that I have done a little work in (it's an
"Adult Education" field.

Kudos for him for not just living off his NBA salary, but for wanting to
better himself and others in the world - to the extent that he earned an
advanced degree in it.

Maybe if others like him can show that being smart is important, the
cultural shift will happen.

Jim