POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Philosophical pondering : Re: Philosophical pondering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Philosophical pondering
From: scott
Date: 20 Jan 2014 03:50:38
Message: <52dce35e$1@news.povray.org>
> So am I still the same person, or am I simply an (incomplete) copy of that
> person?

Maybe an answer is that it's possible (or even normal?) to have a unique
"item" represented by different actual matter at different points in
time, but not at different points in space.

Also replacement parts (cells, molecules, ship parts) need some finite
amount of time to become generally "accepted" (in a philosophical sense,
not a scientific sense) as part of the original item. If you replace
every part of your PC within 1 hour, then you've got a different PC and
the "old" one is in a heap next to it. If you replace one part every
year then in the end you might still say you've got the "same" PC. It's
the constituent parts being together that make the item.