POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2014 14:56:49
Message: <52dc2e01@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:40:39 +0100, clipka wrote:

> Similarly, atheism /is/ a world view: The view that there is /no/
> supreme being; and this assumption /is/ frequently held as a dogma as
> well.

Not quite.

Atheisim is about probability to many (or even most) atheists.  The
evidence doesn't support there being a deity (or anything "supernatural")
in the universe.  So while the word derives from the Greek for "denying
god," practically, it's a bit more nuanced for most.

Most atheists are probably more accurately self-labeled "rationalists,"
because they take the stand that if testable evidence arose for the
supernatural or deities, they would change their position.  But
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, too - so it's not
just "well, look at the Universe, it's just obvious that God created it."

Jim