POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2014 14:35:35
Message: <52dc2907$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:09:12 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> Nothing I can say will *ever* change his mind.  Hence, no point in
>> debating with him about it.  He's never going to see the reality of the
>> situation, because it contradicts his deeply held belief that the bible
>> is never wrong.  In his mind, the only way he agrees is if I agree with
>> him that everything I know to be factual is wrong.
>
> This wouldn't be so bad if they just kept to themselves with their world
> view. After all, everybody's free to believe whatever they want.

Yep.  I'm find with people believing things I consider to be crazy, so
long as they don't use that belief to influence the world around them in
a negative way.

So I'm find with young earth creationists believing the earth is 6000
years old and that humans and dinosaurs coexisted - until they get
elected to positions in the Texas Board of Education and use that belief
to push this nonsense into public schools around the country and have it
taught as a "fact."

> I once had a long email conversation with a young-earth creationist
> about the subject of honesty, and why most creationist arguments and
> tactics are not. For example, I tried to explain to him why quote-mining
> is a really dishonest tactic.

That's actually a very interesting point.  Context matters, and usually
people like my brother's friend "F" does just that to try to make his
point.  He also tries to use latin phrases he's heard (he goes on and on
about how "ex nihilo" is impossible and only explainable by the
introduction of *his* God - not even "just any deity," but explicitly the
one he believes in) to convince people who are less educated that he
knows what he's talking about.  Quite a dishonest tactic.

Jim