POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Jan 2014 12:09:05
Message: <52dc06b1@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2014 6:10 AM, clipka wrote:
>> God may
>> actually exist - but since it is impossible to prove or disprove this,
>> the question is outside the remit of science.
>
> Fully agree on that one.
>
> In my above definition of science however, it's not because we can't
> prove or disprove his/her/their existence, but because that matter
> doesn't get us anywhere in our predictions. (There's even a lot of
> scripture on this matter.)

I don't. See, the problem is, if you define god as some "ineffable
something, we can't describe.", then you are correct, and that is
invariably the "fallback" position of believers (since they can always,
later, bait and switch back to the one they really do talk about all the
time). However, any "defined" version, like.. the most common form of
the Christian version, which performs miracles, reacts to prayers, etc.,
and thus has a tangible impact, of some kind, has "testable" attributes.
The problem for the people believing in that version, while claiming,
when cornered, that its the other vague one they really believe in, is
that people *do* test those claims, including even some religious
believers (like the whole prayers in hospitals fiasco), and the "god"
involved spectacularly fails them.

So, no. The one people actually follow, actual practice their religion
at, and actually believe in, when not trying to wiggle out of it, "is"
testable using the scientific method. Its just the ones that don't,
don't appear to, or don't currently, do anything, at all, that are
"untestable". And, no one actually follows those.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get