POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2014 08:40:39
Message: <52dbd5d7@news.povray.org>
Am 19.01.2014 09:29, schrieb Warp:

> It seems to be a lost battle to try to explain to people that "atheism"
> is not a movement, a world view, a set of dogmas, or anything, really.
> I'd even go so far as to say that theism isn't a world view either,
> and for the exact same reason: It deals with the same question and does
> not imply anything else beyond that.

While you have a point there, you're wrong in your conclusion.

Theism /is/ a world view: The view that there is a supreme being (or a
multitude thereof); and this assumption /is/ typically held as a dogma.

Similarly, atheism /is/ a world view: The view that there is /no/
supreme being; and this assumption /is/ frequently held as a dogma as well.

If you ask me, the only entirely rational stance towards a supreme being
is that of an /agnostic/ - a person that neither asserts nor denies the
existence of a supreme being, and rather comes to the conclusion that we
simply can't know for sure.

Such a person may still lean towards theism or atheism - believing in
the existence or absence of a supreme being based on "gut feeling" - but
either way they won't carry this belief as a dogma.

It should be noted that in common parlance the atheist and agnostic
views are often poorly distinguished, with both being labeled as "atheist".