POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Warp
Date: 19 Jan 2014 08:21:12
Message: <52dbd148@news.povray.org>
> I'd say, science it is the study of how we can describe the world in a
> manner that allows for reliable predictions.

Perhaps the ultimate goal if science, besides allowing us to understand
how the universe works, is practical applications. As the adage goes,
"science works, b****". That's not just a joke.

On the other hand, it's hard to find any practical applications of
creationism.

A biologist once had a debate with Kent Hovind, one of the most famous
creationists, and he listed lots of *practical* applications of
understanding evolution (including things like understanding how
evolution works has allowed us to develop the techniques that can be
used for eg. tracing where certain pathogens originate, how closely
linked they are, and so on.) He asked Hoving what would be the practical
applications of creationism.

Hoving responded that it allows us to teach children how living beings
are divided into kinds and so on and so for. Yes, he literallly, although
mostly inadvertently, argued that the advantage of creationism is that we
can teach children about creationism.

The circularity of this argument was just baffling.

--
                                                          - Warp