POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jan 2014 20:17:15
Message: <52db279b@news.povray.org>
On 1/18/2014 4:09 PM, Warp wrote:
> (The intellectually honest thing to do when you see an isolated quote
> from eg. an evolutionary biologist that seems to go completely against
> the theory of evolution is to ask yourself questions like: "Why is this
> known biologist seemingly saying something against evolution? Is this
> quote possibly taken out of context? What did this person mean by this?
> Has he explained what he meant in the rest of the text, or in other texts?
> Has he been asked about this and responded, and if so, what did he say
> about it?" Then the honest person would try to find out and draw
> conclusions only *after* he has all the facts. But no, this is not what
> a creationist does. Instead, a creationist is extremely opportunistic:
> The isolated quote seems to say something against evolution, and it's made
> by a known scientist. To hell what he really meant by it and what else he
> has said on the subject, just take the quote and use it as a weapon.
> Intended meaning is not important, only the impression that the isolated
> quote gives.)

Actually, its worse than that. One of the posts linked to, in comments,
form the blog post I mention in the other post I made is a short bit
showing some original footage taken by Ray "The Banana Man" Comfort, in
which he asks two people a fairly nuanced question (to which, I
personally, would have said no way to, regardless of circumstances),
about whether or not they might kill someone for a lot of money, if they
*knew* that the person paying them was the wife of the man she wanted
killed, and he beat her near to death. He then went and found believers,
asked them if they would do it for free, then "edited" the result, so
that it looked like he also asked the non-believers the same, "Would you
kill someone for free." Noting - no mention of the wife having been
beaten up by the guy doing it.

Its not just a case that they cherry pick what they need out of
something something someone has said, but they, sometimes, completely
substitute questions that where never asked, at all, so that the cherry
picked bit sounds even worse than that it did, when taken out of context.