POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jan 2014 20:09:14
Message: <52db25ba$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/18/2014 12:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:11:49 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> "Honest creationist" really is an oxymoron.
>
> Something we agree on.
>
> My younger brother, who has a degree in philosophy and religion, has a
> good friend who's a young earth creationist, but who has enough of a
> science background that he has built some of the most dishonest circular
> arguments I've ever seen.  If you don't know science, you'll get sucked
> into his explanations and citations from "Answers in Genesis" (the people
> who brought you - and I'm not making this up - the "Creation Mueseum",
> which more or less depicts the time of the dinosaurs as if The
> Flintstones were a documentary).
>
> Debating with him is one of the most pointless exercises I've ever
> engaged in.  It got so bad, that for my own health, I blocked him on
> Facebook so I wouldn't have to read his drivel, because it drove my blood
> pressure up trying to reason with him.
>
> My premise being this:  I disagree with him, he believes his god is
> infallible.  So, I'm arguing against his god, whom he absolutely believes
> in.

Yeah, got one of those calling everyone else fools and claiming that
they just don't "see the truth", and quoting Ray Comfort, and AIG, etc.,
while never coming up with anything other than Bible quotes to support
his claims of the infallibility of the Bible, and the truth of god, over
here:

http://yearwithoutgod.com/2014/01/02/am-i-doing-it-wrong

What started out as a fairly sane discussion about someone "trying out"
atheism, and his comment on people telling him that doing so was a bit..
odd, if nor absurd, has turned into nothing but a back and forth between
a few ex-believers, and a full blown creationist. Unfortunately, I
decided to get involved as well, and.. haven't quite gotten around to
getting so completely fed up as to nuke the email updates for the
discussion, and let the rest just go at him.