POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jan 2014 17:59:48
Message: <52db0764$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/15/2014 8:21 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> Oh dear, Patrick. You seem to have become obsessed with justifying your
> original comment by descending to the level of the bullies.
> If you had read my original post post properly, you would have noticed
> my comment about joining Thick As A Brick.

Yeah, I had. And, part of being "thick as a brick" for such groups is
presuming that mostly self selected people, taking special tests, which
they don't let anyone outside the group verify as being anything but
another silly, and useless IQ test, but **assert** must work, because,
its just not possible, unlike everyone else that believes in such tests,
that their own might have the same bloody flaws...

Kind of reminds me of a recent article, on the subject of intelligence,
talking about tracking methods used by certain "primitives", or rather,
by those attempting to maintain their methods, while having other
alternative they didn't before. After years of studying them the author
concluded that a) he would never be any where near as good at it, b)
while it used a lot of speculative prediction, our of necessity, it
contained the basic scientific principle that hypothesis about what
animals are doing require revision, if the original expectation was
wrong, and that c) the skill level of prior generations, who had to rely
in it far more, was likely even vastly superior to what the "current"
generation, who have other resources they can rely on, which their
ancestors didn't. In other words, the people in question probably had a
snowballs change in hell of passing a Mensa test, but they ***had to***
have the same level of logic and cognitive skills, which such tests are
"supposed to" test for, just to survive in a place where it might take
days to track an animal, and being able to take limited data, and
"project", with a high chance of being right, what every track and sign
they came across really meant, determined life or death. (This being
apposed to other regions, with things like forests, lakes, and, again,
other resources, which didn't bloody move around a lot, and where in
plain sight). It makes a skeptical of all "tests" you might give to take
such a measurement, in a modern context.

> Secondly, stop using lol as a comment - it's juvenile.

Ah, gee.. Sorry for using "internet conventions". You sound like one of
the people that objects to language on the basis that it isn't long
winded enough to be inoffensive, even if the long winded version is
saying the same bloody things. Juvenile.. Apparently "adult" is saying
"get off my lawn", or rather, "I don't like all these new fangled
things, which we didn't need back in the day when we used to write 12
page essays on how we would silly we thought something is."

> Finally, read your responses at least twice before posting. It stops you
> from offending people who have been on the group longer than you.
>
> John

Yeah.. No. What society needs, frankly, is more people willing to offend
people, instead of always lending them automatic respect, based on what
they are members of. I won't do that with religions, why the hell would
I with anyone else? And, your evidence that any part of my original
comment is wrong is.. what? That some of them are actually nice, instead
of assholes, and *they* think their testing methods are valid? You see
the same argument from every other group making similar claims, all the
time, the difference, apparently, being that their "criteria" get
leaked, and are not "secret".