POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jan 2014 14:44:35
Message: <52dad9a3@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:11:49 -0500, Warp wrote:

> "Honest creationist" really is an oxymoron.

Something we agree on.

My younger brother, who has a degree in philosophy and religion, has a
good friend who's a young earth creationist, but who has enough of a
science background that he has built some of the most dishonest circular
arguments I've ever seen.  If you don't know science, you'll get sucked
into his explanations and citations from "Answers in Genesis" (the people
who brought you - and I'm not making this up - the "Creation Mueseum",
which more or less depicts the time of the dinosaurs as if The
Flintstones were a documentary).

Debating with him is one of the most pointless exercises I've ever
engaged in.  It got so bad, that for my own health, I blocked him on
Facebook so I wouldn't have to read his drivel, because it drove my blood
pressure up trying to reason with him.

My premise being this:  I disagree with him, he believes his god is
infallible.  So, I'm arguing against his god, whom he absolutely believes
in.

Nothing I can say will *ever* change his mind.  Hence, no point in
debating with him about it.  He's never going to see the reality of the
situation, because it contradicts his deeply held belief that the bible
is never wrong.  In his mind, the only way he agrees is if I agree with
him that everything I know to be factual is wrong.

A perfect demonstration of how not to debate a topic.

Jim