POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Whack a mole : Re: Whack a mole Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whack a mole
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jan 2014 13:51:33
Message: <52dacd35@news.povray.org>
> I wonder if valgrind would be any help... (But then of course, I'd have
> to figure out how to build the application by hand!)

valgrind exists precisely for this kind of thing. Last time I checked,
however, it hadn't been ported to Windows, but that was a long time ago,
so things might have changed.

There are other, commercial products that do the same task. However,
given that you are working for a company, it shouldn't be such a big
deal.

I have experience with AQtime, and it worked pretty well. (It also
helps finding performance bottlenecks.) I'm not trying to endorse any
particular commercial product, but it just happens to be the one I have
used.

But then, I seldom need to use any such memory debuggers. 99.99% of such
bugs can be avoided by writing the C++ code properly. I don't even remember
when was the last time I had a memory leak in any C++ program (and I write
C++ constantly as my payjob, and have been doing so for quite a long time.)

--
                                                          - Warp