POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Jan 2014 17:12:46
Message: <52d9aade@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:16:23 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> I don't know, man. I thought a degree is pretty much a degree; nobody
>>> seems to care much where you got it.
>>
>> As long as it's from an accredited institution.
>>
>> Often times, they don't even care what it's in.  That you got it is
>> what's important to a lot of HR people.
>
> Seems most *employers* don't really give a fig what qualifications
> you've got - they just want experience.

But as a gate to that experience, they want a degree.  At least here in
the US.

I've been self-employed now for nearly 3 years.  In the field I was
working in for nearly a decade before I was laid off, I was recognized by
peers as having a firm grasp on the concepts and ideas - and seen inside
my employer as a leader with expertise.

After the layoff, I applied at companies in that particular field
(technical certification program management), and with at least one, my
lack of a degree was cited as a *specific* issue they'd have with hiring
me.  I didn't even get an interview.

My experience didn't even matter in that instance.

> Then again, given the number of people we've interviewed with "20 years
> of development experience" who can't work out how to perform trivial
> programming tasks like deciding whether a variable is negative or
> positive.
>
> (Our office favourite is the guy who replied to one question with "oh,
> I'm not sure how you'd do that - I haven't used strings for a while".)

LOL

Jim