POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Jan 2014 05:29:24
Message: <52d7b484$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/01/2014 9:25 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> The challenge here, especially with larger companies, seems to be that to
> not get eliminated early on, you have to have the degree, or your CV is
> never even reviewed by a human.

I am in a different position as I have not applied directly to a company
for over thirty years. Agencies are the intermediary's.
Now, you can talk to them. It is their job to get someone in the post.
In fact my current job was done like that only the other way around.

BTW My UAT was a disaster. The users refused to take part. After I
explained what we were going to do and walked through the processes.
They said that it was not what they wanted and the Head Office never
listened to them.
Arrg! Internal politics and egg on my face.

> So I have to take my advice to Andy repeatedly - trying to find an
> insider to walk my CV to the appropriate person so they actually*see*  it.

Nearly a full time job in itself.

> I found a position posted a couple days ago with a well-known online
> retailer that I'm pretty excited about - it has to do with an internal
> certification program that's being developed, and I've got the exact
> skill set they're looking for.  But I suspect that if I go in through the
> front door, the right person will never even see it, so I'm mining my
> professional network for a connection that can help (I know one person at
> this company, which is weird considering how large they are).
>
> Because if I can get past that first automated screening hurdle, my
> experience and proven track record are what they really need to see to
> know that I'm exactly the person they're looking for.

That is certainly the attitude to have. Although it does leave you open
to disappointment if you don't succeed.

Best of luck, break a leg.

--
Regards