POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Renting software : Re: Renting software Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renting software
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jan 2014 20:01:59
Message: <52d72f87@news.povray.org>
Am 15.01.2014 21:51, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 04:18:53 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
>> Am 14.01.2014 20:23, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>>
>>> And then there's Adobe CC at $50 per month...
>>
>> Yeah. My arse.
>>
>> There are only few things that beat the luxury of being able to skip
>> an upgrade or two (or three, or four) when I happen to be low on money.
>>
> That could never work, especially with newer features that may not be
> backward compatible.

Indeed, the subscription model would probably force me to make do
without the software if I can't pay (even if it would technically be
possible).

With the classic "pay once, use as long as you like" licensing model I'm
perfectly fine with my dozen-year-old Adobe Photoshop version possibly
being incompatible with newer ones, as I'm not sharing .psd files with
other people anyway.

To think that with a subscription licensing model at $50 per month I'd
have paid over $7000 for the software by now... uh - no, thanks!