POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: scott
Date: 15 Jan 2014 03:40:18
Message: <52d64972$1@news.povray.org>
> Finally, scott, high IQ does _not_ equate to asocial behaviour and/or
> poor dress sense.

You must admit there is at least a bit of a correlation though,
especially with intelligence in maths/proper science subjects?

> Your perception is skewed by the popular
> misconception, usually starting at school, that being intelligent makes
> you a nerd.

It's mainly by meeting people throughout university and in the
workplace. At school we had to wear uniforms so everyone looked the same
and dress sense didn't come in to it. At university the math/engineering
students dressed differently, most times you could spot one just by
looks, heck still now when watching Universtiy Challenge you can usually
spot them before they open their mouth. Also you only have to look at
the Christmas dinner at my old company (where almost all non-admin staff
had a PhD or an Oxbridge degree in science) and note the dress sense,
compared to where I am now (a manufacturing company) - the difference is
very obvious.

> I was lucky. Firstly, my family were all above-average in intelligence;
> that gave me a good support group to fall back on.

I was lucky, my dad brought me home a BBC B from work before I started
school, I was far more interested in writing programs than going out and
playing with friends. The most annoying thing was being right in the
middle of some complex piece of coding and my mum would force me to "get
outside" and go and play.

BTW I only have a bit of dress sense now because my gf forces it onto me :-)