POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Doctor John
Date: 14 Jan 2014 17:10:53
Message: <52d5b5ed$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/01/14 21:09, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 14/01/2014 02:14 AM, Doctor John wrote:
>> I left the society
>> purely because I found most members to have their noses stuck firmly up
>> their own fundaments.
>
> Yes... that is the impression I get about Mensa too. "Ooo, let's found a
> club that only really smart people can join. Then we can all stand
> around and rejoice in how clever we are..."
>
> No thanks.

However, and this not aimed at you, Andrew, it never ceases to amaze me
how many people have a knee-jerk reaction to the subject of intelligence.

If you can run 10,000 metres in under 27 minutes, you are a hero. If you
can consistently knock a small white ball into a hole a few hundred
metres distant, you are a hero and get paid $SILLYNUM for it. If you can
string more than two words together, have a body like a god/dess and are
willing to stand in front of a camera for interminable takes, everybody
wants to have your babies. I also note that good athletes join athletics
clubs, good soccer players join soccer clubs and Povray users eventually
end up on news.povray.*. Where's the difference?

Human beings are social animals; they will tend to congregate in groups
that have similar tastes and talents to their own. (That last sentence
is not grammatically correct, but you know what I mean.) Therefore, it
is not surprising that those with high IQs will tend to cluster together
with their IQ being the marker for potential inclusion in the group.

Finally, scott, high IQ does _not_ equate to asocial behaviour and/or
poor dress sense. Your perception is skewed by the popular
misconception, usually starting at school, that being intelligent makes
you a nerd. If enough people tell you that you're a freak, you will
eventually believe it and give up on the socially-accepted parameters of
attractiveness - dressing fashionably, sharing in-jokes, giving a sh*t
about your appearance.

I was lucky. Firstly, my family were all above-average in intelligence;
that gave me a good support group to fall back on. Secondly, we are all
reasonably good-looking and good at sports; I am not the tallest or most
muscular in my family, but if you ever had the misfortune of facing me
on a rugby field, you would remember it. And finally I, my siblings and
my father have all had more than our fair share of partners in our
lifetimes. Whether that makes me or them immoral is not relevant to the
argument. What it does do is to indicate that the opposite (or same,
whatever turns you on) sex does not find my family of geniuses unattractive.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents