POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Renting software : Re: Renting software Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renting software
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Jan 2014 16:16:35
Message: <52d5a933$1@news.povray.org>
> Unlike cars or washing machines, which eventually break, software
> doesn't, so in theory, unless your mom needs additional functionality
> from her word-processor, she will never need to upgrade.

Indeed. For =A1-B1 years, she hasn't needed to upgrade. In fact, the
only reason I'm looking at prices now is because she gets terribly
confused when the version she uses at work isn't the same as the one at
home.

Also, the spell-checker is ****ed. What can I say? Windows 95 had a
radically different security model. (I.e., none.)

> so they need to artifically generate demand for new versions.
>
> At first they did it by putting more and more features in the software,
> but by now most people realise they don't need 90% of what Office can do

Indeed, about the only thing I can think of that has recently improved
in Office is that they finally made Excel's charts not look like arse
anymore.

> They've been trying to "float" the subscription model for years, but the
> industry was very reluctant to jump on board. Now with Office365, they
> have a foot in the door with large corporate customers, so they think
> they can do the same with the retail customers.

Heh, well, good luck.

I can understand MS wanting to push this idea. I'm still puzzled that a
seemingly independent website is excited about this...