POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) : Re: Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jan 2014 10:41:28
Message: <52d55aa8@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> So, some years ago I was a member of Mensa and I would guess that a
> large majority of this forum would also qualify (top 2% of the population).
> For no apparent reason I have decided to rejoin. I left the society
> purely because I found most members to have their noses stuck firmly up
> their own fundaments.
> Am I insane? Or is it because I wish to revive the SIG called Thick As A
> Brick?

Intelligence is such a random thing...

One would think that the most super-intelligent people would end up
in professions like a theoretical astrophycisist who routinely
calculates what happens when two rotating black holes collide...
But no. Last I heard, the number 1 Mensa member in Finland is...
a postman. Not like a high-ranking director or anything. Just a
regular postman, one that goes from door to door distributing mail.

Of course it's a bit insensitive to talk about people with low
intelligence, but if we approach the subject on a completely pragmatic
level, there are certain things that such people are simply physically
unable to do. Their brain just doesn't let itself to perform certain
complex feats (such as solving the field equations of general relativity
for a certain set of parameters.)

However, having high intelligence doesn't automatically mean you are
apt for all tasks either. In fact, many of the most intelligent people
may be really bad at many things, and lack in many areas of life.

--
                                                          - Warp