POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Renting software : Re: Renting software Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Renting software
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jan 2014 20:02:34
Message: <52d48caa@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:15:45 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

>> Alternatively, I can pay $100, every single year, for the rest of my
>> life, to get... exactly the same thing?
>>
>> In WHICH UNIVERSE is that better??
>>

> Welcome to Bill Gates' vision.

I don't think that's Gates' vision.  It's the wet dream of the entire
software industry.  Rather than selling a license that may never be
upgraded, they want you to continue to pay "maintenance" fees so you're a
source of continuous revenue.

"Better for whom" is the appropriate question, though - because clearly,
subscriptions that are automatically renewed are better for the software
companies.

I know of one company that tried to justify a big maintenance and support
program by saying "everyone is doing it - even Microsoft" - when clearly
Microsoft *weren't* doing it, because the premise was that you could only
download patches and fixes if you had a current maintenance agreement,
and Microsoft doesn't (or didn't, at the time) have such a program,
evidenced by yours truly downloading the current SP for MS SQL Server
without so much as a "please login" prompt.

But as usual, Microsoft is bringing up the rear on this, in actuality.
Services like Google Apps (for business), Salesforce.com, and even AWS
and other cloud "computing platform" providers have been doing this for
at least a couple of years.

Jim