POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LanuHum Global Test image : Re: LanuHum Global Test image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LanuHum Global Test image
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jan 2014 06:44:12
Message: <52cfdd0c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.01.2014 09:21, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

>> Still, to me the overall light levels of the shadowed parts seems
>> somewhat too low (but this might be a question of my system's gamma -
>> currently 2.0)... and there are still some bright artifact dots along
>> the upper edges of the walls. What radiosity settings did you use?
>
> I agree about the light levels but I don't know how to compensate that
> other than by an additional light (I don't like) or by a stronger light
> maybe (I shall try). However, I personally like this and my impression
> is that this is a /natural/ situation. Comments welcome.

The proper approach to compensate would be to increase the walls'
brightness. /If/ you want to compensate at all. Looks natural enough to
me, too.

> The bright dots are still a problem indeed. They are also present in
> Christoph's image. I wonder if this is not light leaking along mesh
> edges.... Comments welcome.

It's not specifically leaking along mesh edges, but through /any/ edges.
Surprisingly, similar artifacts can be observed with CSG as well. Up to
this day I haven't really figured out what's causing this, but the
number of radiosity bounces (i.e. recursion_limit) does seem to play a
role (I think I've never seen these artifacts with recursion_limit 2 or
lower).