POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LanuHum Global Test image : Re: LanuHum Global Test image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LanuHum Global Test image
From: Ive
Date: 10 Jan 2014 04:00:43
Message: <52cfb6bb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.01.2014 09:21, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> I agree about the light levels but I don't know how to compensate that
> other than by an additional light (I don't like) or by a stronger light
> maybe (I shall try). However, I personally like this and my impression
> is that this is a /natural/ situation. Comments welcome.

I think the shadowed parts do look perfectly right.

> The bright dots are still a problem indeed. They are also present in
> Christoph's image. I wonder if this is not light leaking along mesh
> edges....

It is light leaking and it gets even worse when using higher quality
(i.e. lower error_bound) settings. I guess the only solution is to
remodel the room and give the walls and the ceiling some real thickness,
thats what I did. As with CSG where it is a good idea to let walls and
ceiling overlap.

> presently, radiosity settings are:
>
>    radiosity {
>        pretrace_start   0.08
>        pretrace_end     0.004
>        count            500, 1000
>        nearest_count    10, 5
>        error_bound      1
>        recursion_limit  4
>        low_error_factor 0.3
>        gray_threshold   0.0
>        minimum_reuse    0.015
>        maximum_reuse    0.1
>        brightness       1
>        adc_bailout      1/100000
>        normal           on
>        media            off
>        always_sample    off
>        //max_sample     1.0
>    }

When you add no_radiosity to all window/door glasses you'll get away
with 2 recursions and faster render speed - without any visual impact.
And I'm not sure about this low adc_bailout within the radiosity block,
if such low value is needed shouldn't it go into the global settings
block itself - to keep the photons visible?
Maybe Christoph can shed some light on this.

-Ive