POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Jan 2014 00:10:41
Message: <52ce2f51@news.povray.org>
On 1/8/2014 8:33 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2014-01-06 23:26, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> I posted that site because its the one I could remember how to find an
>> article on. Its not the **only** place I have read the same things from.
>> And.. you are seriously suggesting that only a certain "sort" of women
>> post there, or in the comment threads, and that somehow their experience
>> is therefore atypical of what goes on? Based on what exactly?
>
> Well, it's a site that caters specifically to people that are skeptics,
> and shows preference for female-identifying individuals.  That, I'm
> afraid, is in fact a certain 'sort', not representative of the overall
> population.

Well... The problems I have with that as an argument for questioning
their views on the subject is.. 1) While it does certainly cater to
such, not everyone on it started out as a skeptic, or had their
experiences "while" skeptics, 2) Skeptics would, one would think, be
better people to ask about biases based on the sort of false positives
and presumptions of causality that, frankly, even people doing studies
fall into (which is one major reason why you want replication of
results, not jumping on a study, or even more than one, from the same
environment), as a basis of reaching a conclusion, 3) it presumes,
without good reason, that their experience in this matter "is" different
somehow, and finally, not everyone that posts there "are" women.

Well, that and, one of the major points I am trying to get across is
that the "male centric" view that sits over top of our culture already
biases *everything*, including, historically, the interpretations of
data, and/or even the collection of it, in such studies. That view as
what kept bird experts from even seeing the evidence that most birds are
non-monogamous, instead of just asserting they where. Its the same bias
that caused Masters and Johnson so many headaches when the real data
about human sexuality kept failing to match their expectations of what
constituted "normal". Its the same bias that has called into question,
recently, conclusions about behavior, especially involving sex,
relationships, and even violence, among primitive tribes. Its a bias
that is so pervasive that the *automatic* reaction of nearly everyone,
male and female, when an assault happens, is to either joke about what
"she" might have done, or question it, but not what the guy did. There
is a built in bias, where you are almost not even taken seriously at
all, if you report something, regardless of whether you are, presumably,
some sort of science geek, which seems to be the assumption about people
on that network, or the stereotypical blond bimbo. In fact, they might
even take the later "less" seriously, because they are all body, and not
so much brains, and the "script" says that such woman are easier, less
likely to say no, and thus, more likely to be lying, just out of spite.