POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell!
From: Warp
Date: 8 Jan 2014 06:14:59
Message: <52cd3333@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] kosherhotmailcom> wrote:
> He gave them in order to accomplish a number of purposes which He
> regards as good and just.  However, now that those purposes have been
> served, the commandments are no longer good and just; therefore they are
> no longer in effect.

"They are no longer in effect" if you pick&choose verses as you like,
and ignore others that indicate that they are very much still in effect.
Of course other branches of Christianity pick&choose in a different
manner and think that they *are* still in effect (but come up with
excuses as to why they cannot be enacted.) And I'm not making this up
because I know of such denominations.

Anyway, from that, and from this:

> I am glad that the commandments were not given to me, but whether
> something is right or wrong does not depend on how I feel about it.

it's relatively clear that you do not think that many of those
commandments are good and moral because they clash with your own
concept of morality.

>  > The very fact that you would never
>  > stone someone to death in any circumstance (much less for such a
>  > "heinous" crime as breaking the sabbath or being rude to your parents)
>  > shows that you do not think it's just punishment. If you are honest
>  > to yourself, you will agree with this.

> "Any circumstance"?  Sir, you do not know me.  There are some crimes for
> which I regard stoning as too merciful a punishment.

You would honestly kill someone by stoning? You will have to excuse me
but I don't believe you. You don't sound like the kind of person that
would ever do that, no matter what that someone did.

>  But in this era
> God has reserved those things for the secular authorities.

I suppose you could find a really contrived interpretation of some
passages to support that. Or perhaps not.

>  > In other words, you disagree with your God.

> I certainly do disagree with God (and as a result have wronged Him on
> numerous occasions).  There are a number of commandments, which apply to
> me, that I would have left out if I had written the Bible, and it is
> only with careful consideration that I recognize that they really are
> better than what I would have come up with on my own.  And thus I
> recognize that my disagreement with God is proof of a flaw in me and not
> in God.

No. You disagree with your god because you are more moral than your god.
You *know* that many of those commandments are immoral, inhumane and
unjust. You are glad that you don't have to enact them or see them
enacted, and you come up with some rationalizations as to why they
do not apply today, but were somehow good in the past. You try to
convince yourself that "surely God had a good reason for these, even
if I don't understand them."

If you were completely honest to yourself, you would admit this.

--
                                                          - Warp