POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is Gail when you need her? : Re: Where is Gail when you need her? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is Gail when you need her?
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jan 2014 14:41:00
Message: <52cc584c@news.povray.org>
Am 07.01.2014 17:43, schrieb Doctor John:
> Additional. I have just received a phone call informing me that the team
> has unearthed 200 pages of of Vatican documents itemising payments into
> and out of the Curial treasure chests. They cover the period in question
> but are written by churchmen rather than financiers so they don't always
> include some of the essential (to a financier) information. I'm now
> waiting for a few pages of translated items (I don't speak or read
> Medieval Latin) and then it's back to the drawing board. :-(

All this reminds me of a project my father has been working on for the
last few years: Transcribing records from a monastery about their
properties, tenants, cottagers and what-have-you-not (plenty of who
moved out of or into which piece of land, what they had to pay for
moving in, what they had to pay to stay, what their compensation was
when moving out, whom they married, whom they gave birth to - all sorts
of stuff like that).

Fortunately for him, he didn't aim for a database; transcribing the old
handwritings and adding some annotations of his own was all he was
aiming for.

He is now arranging for the results to be published as a book.