POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jan 2014 00:43:16
Message: <52cb93f4@news.povray.org>
On 1/5/2014 3:24 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 01:28:13 +0200, Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/2014 1:55 PM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>>> Another problem concerning this is fake rape claims where a girl claims
>>> some-one has raped them only later to recant and say they just didn't
>>> like his attitude or something or wanted to pat him back for something
>>> silly.
>>
>> You have no clue a) how uncommon that really is,
> I do. I just thought it was worth mentioning since I haven't seen it
> mentioned in this post.
>
> and b) how much shit
>> women go through, even when it is legitimate, which might result in
>> them "wanting" to recant it, even if it did happen. So.. Don't go
>> there. I refer you to the same thing I posted in the other comment:
>>

> True. I should have mentioned that as well.

Ah, well. Sorry then. Its almost par for the course in such discussions
that when someone says, "Oh, and then there are the ones making it up.",
it ends up devolving, at some point, into them trying to claim "all of
them" make it up. Heck, its practically a urban myth, truism, and
"obvious fact" in the minds of some parts of the population, especially
among men younger than, maybe 30, that it *is* an undisputed fact, and
way too many of the ones older than that.

When a presenter can't even have a couple of drinks at the hotel bar,
after speaking, and gets followed into the elevator, and propositioned
by some idiot that won't take no for an answer, but thankfully didn't go
farther than that, and a) the convention showed near disbelief, and a
lack of intent to do anything about it, and b) it got tagged "elevator
gate" by a stupid number of people.. its kind of obvious there is a
bigger problem, and maybe how she was dressing, or where she was, or how
many beers she had, etc... wasn't the issue. There are whole "women
only" conferences that have cropped up due to this BS, in the last 2-3
years, because the real ones went, "Well, I am sure there is a slight
problem, but.. we just can't quite see it right now, and don't see any
point in making people 'uncomfortable' by adding unnecessary rules, or
taking reports seriously." Extrapolate from that sort of harrassment in
supposed "professional" situations, and the cases where sexual assaults
have even happened, not just verbal, or being propositioned, to the rest
of the world, which **isn't** professional.. and, the picture starts
looking damned ugly.

Some places a women "could" walk down the street, naked, and not be
harassed (well not much more than just walking down the street, which
isn't exact right either, really), but, here in the US, you can't even
be a speaker at a convention, trying to get back to your room, without
worrying about some ass assaulting you, when female. And.. forget "not
going alone to your room", at least one of the full on rapes that I have
read about was "by" the supposed escort, who promised to keep them from
being attacked by some other person.

One of them called the whole mess, "Schrodinger's Rapist", its
impossible to know which, if any, man might do it, until it either
happens, or doesn't happen. Its that bad, sometimes, and.. what do they
get, "Don't go alone, dress the wrong way, drink, have a social life, or
do anything that might let the cat out of the box." Everyone, for some
reason, always thinks they have "never" heard any of that advice, or
thought about the absurd lengths you would have to go to follow it, and
have it actually work, given the mental state, the privilege, and the
sense of entitlement that always seems, on some level to exist in the
heads of the people that do this sort thing. None of which is, since
even the sane guys often joke about it, visible on the surface.