POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell!
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jan 2014 18:59:40
Message: <52c9f1ec$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/01/2014 10:01 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:23:20 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding is a good summary.
>>>

>> Similar to what I understand it to mean.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality
>
> Yep.
>
> The explanation I initially had been given was something along the lines
> that people contribute to the discussion of the colour because they can -
> they may not know anything about construction, building codes, etc - but
> they can have an opinion on the colour, so they provide it so they're
> "participating."

My understanding is that people will accept the big picture as described
by the "experts" because they don't feel competent to question it. But
for smaller projects they will talk it to death. As anyone can build a
"bikeshed".

Just like cooking. Everyone will tell you how to cook and may feal that
they could open a restaurant because they can cook for a dinner party.

--
Regards
     Stephen