POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Opaque clouds? : Re: Opaque clouds? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opaque clouds?
From: David Given
Date: 4 Jan 2014 17:22:08
Message: <52c88990@news.povray.org>
On 29/12/13 15:30, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
> On 24.12.2013 05:47, John Coppens wrote:
[...]
>> Just an observation - clouds are generally from 0 to say 10 or 12 km.
>> Normally the height of the clouds is only 4-6km. Only in summertime,
>> you'l have cumulonimbus reaching above 10km.
>
> You have to take into account that the scene is set on a terraformed
> Earth's moon - with only one sixth of Earth's gravity, the atmosphere is
> much less compressed towards the surface than on Earth

Yup. I spent way too long fiddling with atmospheric density formulae of
various degrees of correctness and eventually just gave up and
multiplied all the heights by six. (Povray's arbitrary density units
make physical accuracy moderately futile, anyway.) That 35km cloud
altitude is supposed to be equivalent to 5km cirrus.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────