POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Native dispersion v. spectral render : Re: Native dispersion v. spectral render Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Native dispersion v. spectral render
From: clipka
Date: 4 Jan 2014 09:04:15
Message: <52c814df$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.12.2013 02:49, schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> What surprised me is that POV-Ray's native dispersion changes the hue of
> each spectral color.  For example, the violet extreme is ultraviolet
> blue for the high temperature white, and reddish purple for the low
> temperature white.  (It's still a whole lot better than POV-Ray 3.6
> dispersion.)  The spectral render merely adjusts the intensity of each
> band without changing its hue, as expected.

This effect is due to official POV-Ray doing all colour math in RGB
space. The problem is that the human eye's sensors for long wavelengths
(red) are also sensitive to very short wavelengths (violet); thus, when
translating a very short wavelength to an RGB colour you do get a deal
of R in there (about 24% of the B channel at 400 nm, at least with the
table POV-Ray is currently using).

Now in official POV-Ray, the resulting colour in dispersion is computed
as the component-wise product of the refracted light's RGB colour and
the RGB colour corresponding to the given wavelength.

When the light has a high colour temperature, there is only little R in
the light's RGB colour; thus, at e.g. 400 nm, the resulting colour will
be R = 24% * little, G = 0% * some, B = 100% * plenty, resulting in a
very blue colour hue.

On the other hand, when the light has a low colour temperature, there is
only little B in the light's RGB colour, but plenty of R and G: thus,
again at the very same wavelength of 400 nm, the resulting colour will
be R = 2%% * plenty, G = 0% * plenty, B = 100% * little, resulting in a
very violet colour hue.