POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Jan 2014 21:38:25
Message: <52c622a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/2/2014 3:31 AM, Warp wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Uh.. Wrong, wrong, wrong..
>
> Fine. Women should take no precautions *at all* to try to lower the risks.
> Why bother? They are going to get raped anyway.
>
> I'm almost tempted to call you a nasty name.

Sigh... Seriously? The problem here isn't that someone should take "no"
precautions. The problem is taking "imaginary" ones, which do nothing
but promote the excuses used to both get criminal off the hook, and
shame women into thinking, "I should have done something different.",
even when it was impossible to have done anything different. Slut
shaming is ***NOT*** acceptable, but its exactly what happens, every
single damn time a rape happens, and some idiots starts rattling off a
list of things they "might have" done differently, while having no F-ing
clue what the hell they did, or didn't, do, or based on a laundry list
of myths and stupid assumptions.

You will note that one "huge" one is, "Don't drink, or get high, it
increases your risk." Well.. That one doesn't help a whole hell of a lot
either, in cases where there really is a predator of some sort involved.
I know someone who has a family history of drinking problems, so knows
what the risks are, and avoids having more than maybe one drink, who, at
a concert, was one of about 100 victims of some idiot that decided to
dump some sort of drug into people's drinks. Her boyfriend at the time
was the only person, including he father (a man with problems with
alcoholism), her mother, most of her friend, and complete strangers, who
all "assumed" she had gotten stinking drunk, not had half a drink, into
which someone dumped something else. And, even he didn't figure it out
until halfway home, when he thought back about things and realized that
a) she never had more than the one drink in her hand, b) he was with her
the whole entire time, and c) there is no way in hell she should be that
blitzed from it.

The default assumption, by bloody everyone, was that **she** screwed up
somehow. But, again, this is one woman, out of hundreds, who reported
something having been slipped into their drinks, without them knowing
it. Are you going to tell me that she wasn't careful enough? That she
was dressed wrong? That she shouldn't have drank anything at all? That
more than a hundred of women, none of whom saw it get slipped into their
drinks where all just too stupid to notice? If she had been alone, what
are the odds you would have just chocked this up as, "Shouldn't have
been alone, drinking, while wearing what ever it was she was wearing at
the time."?

You don't want to know what kinds of names I like to call people that
can't bloody GET THIS.

How are "delusional" precautions helpful? If 2/3 of all rapes are done
by people they know, what the frak "precautions" do you expect from
them? If what they wear, where they are, and just about everything
"other" than intentionally taking higher than normal risks, while drunk
off their ass, neither increases, nor decreases, their risks, then who
the hell are you to be judging them for meaningless choices, or claiming
they "should have taken more precautions"?

Its not about taking "no" precautions, its about actually knowing what
the fuck the risks really are, and what really, actually does increase
them, and, at least as importantly, not, unintentionally, playing the
bullshit game that the rapists, and their apologists, want everyone to,
and blaming the victim for what happened, but accusing them of having
too short a skirt, of walking down the wrong road, or some other
statistically useless, but very useful for some people, excuses.

In short, stop being a useful idiot to these people. Treat the victims
as smart intelligent people, until/unless there is a damn good reason to
not, who didn't take some sort of imaginary risks, and, in most cases,
probably couldn't have done a bloody thing to reduce them, not as,
somehow, by default, automatically, and, without any need of facts or
evidence, culpable in what happened.