POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The TSA attrocities : Re: The TSA attrocities Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The TSA attrocities
From: Doctor John
Date: 2 Jan 2014 07:29:36
Message: <52c55bb0$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/01/2014 11:51, Stephen wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 11:06 AM, Warp wrote:
>> It's not the individual actions, or their frequency, that give a vibe
>> of a police-state-like system, it's the fact that they mostly can do
>> it with impunity. Most of the abuses go unpunished, either because
>> the authorities are unwilling to investigate or, in the worst case,
>> because nothing illegal was actually done.
>
> I think that you go a bit too far saying that America is a Police State.
> You say that it has a high level of abuse and corruption. But that
> doesn't make it a Police State.
> Lots of 4 am knocks on doors, makes for a Police State.
> As for surveillance, Britain probably has the most in Europe and I don't
> hear us being called one, often.

This thread is beginning to bring Pink Floyd's 'Gunner's Dream' to mind:

... where you can speak out loud about your doubts and fears
and, what's more, no-one ever disappears, you never hear their standard
issue kicking in your door. You can relax on both sides of the tracks
and maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control and everyone
has recourse to the law and no-one kills the children anymore.

John