POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Dec 2013 14:23:50
Message: <52c076c6$1@news.povray.org>

> Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> They stated that the reality was not what the
>> polls reflected. That the polls showed the "official" stance, the one
>> the members where worried someone might find out they disagreed with,
>> which someone more hardline might call them on, and they would get in
>> major trouble over, if they where found out, but that the reality was
>> that almost no one they knew actually thought that way in reality.
>
> That, in itself, is a big problem with many muslim subcultures in the
> west (ie. the peer pressure that doesn't seem to be as strong as ever.)
>
> As politically incorrect as it is to say, the culture itself is to blame,
> and muslims will not get over that problem until it's changed.

It's not only muslims that suffer from this.  In many parts of the world
where Christianity still has a strong hold on society, you will see
similar attitudes from people.  Case in point: A recent US study found
that 1 pregnant woman in 200 "thought" she was still a virgin.  The
authors of the study hypothecized that it was probably due to a mix of
lack of sexual education leading with unsafe sexual activites, and fear
of reprisal if they answered the survey truthfully.

> Of course the problem is only aggravated by the western mentality that
> says to them: "Your culture and your religion are very valuable, you
> should keep them, embrace them and treasure them. It's your cultural
> heritage and it would be a great loss if it were to be muddied and mixed
> with the western culture."
>
> This sentiment is very naive because it only thinks about the positive
> things of the exotic culture, completely ignoring the negative things,
> pretending that those are not *really* part of the culture. However,
> no matter how we try to pretend that it's not part of their culture,
> the sad fact is that it is, and we are only encouraging them to keep
> it that way and not making a change for the better.

[Devil's advocate]
I seem to remember you posting about Kantele and its probable
disparition in the near future.

While Islam is nowhere near extinction, so it's not a fair comparision,
you can't lament the loss of traditional Finnish culture, while at the
same time criticizing others who want to preserve their own.
[/Devil's advocate]