POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Opaque clouds? : Re: Opaque clouds? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opaque clouds?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 29 Dec 2013 10:27:44
Message: <52c03f70@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 24.12.2013 05:47, John Coppens wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:27:37 +0000
> David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:
>
>> The clouds are implemented as a textured sphere 35km above the surface.
>> The cirrus texture on the sphere is adequate, but I can fix that. The
>> thing I'm worried about is the dark edge on the horizon.
>
> Just an observation - clouds are generally from 0 to say 10 or 12 km.
> Normally the height of the clouds is only 4-6km. Only in summertime,
> you'l have cumulonimbus reaching above 10km.

You have to take into account that the scene is set on a terraformed
Earth's moon - with only one sixth of Earth's gravity, the atmosphere is
much less compressed towards the surface than on Earth (for example: on
Saturn's moon Titan, where gravity is slightly lower than on Earth's
moon, the atmosphere reaches as high as almost 1,000 kms above the
surface, and clouds hover at altitudes between 15 and 40 kms), so that
the tropopause (upper limit for clouds) will be much higher than on Earth.

 > Clouds at 35 km do exist,
 > but are normally not directly visible.

Did you think of polar stratospheric clouds or of noctilucent clouds?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: The Turn Of A Dream (Robert Schroeder)