POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Native dispersion v. spectral render : Native dispersion v. spectral render Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Native dispersion v. spectral render
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Dec 2013 20:49:08
Message: <52bf7f94@news.povray.org>
Since RGB does not preserve spectral information, POV-Ray naturally has
to guess how a colored light might disperse.  I got curious as to how
POV-Ray's dispersion of black body emissions would differ from a
spectral render.

These scenes show a glowing rod viewed through a BK7 glass filter.
Image prism_whites-rgb.png is the native dispersion render, and
prism_whites-spectral.png is the spectral render.  The geometry of both
scenes is identical.

The RGB render shows less refraction than spectral render, so I
#debugged some values.

IOR_Glass_BK7 from spectral_glasses.inc:
   IOR at 380 nm = 1.533745 (SpectralRender shortest)
   IOR at 580 nm = 1.517122 (near Fraunhofer line D)
   IOR at 730 nm = 1.512304 (SpectralRender shortest)

Native dispersion from ior.inc:
   iorCrownGlassBK7 = 1.516730 (presumably at line D, 589.29 nm)
   dispCrownGlassBK7 = 1.010552

What surprised me is that POV-Ray's native dispersion changes the hue of
each spectral color.  For example, the violet extreme is ultraviolet
blue for the high temperature white, and reddish purple for the low
temperature white.  (It's still a whole lot better than POV-Ray 3.6
dispersion.)  The spectral render merely adjusts the intensity of each
band without changing its hue, as expected.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'prism_whites-rgb.png' (32 KB) Download 'prism_whites-spectral.png' (35 KB)

Preview of image 'prism_whites-rgb.png'
prism_whites-rgb.png

Preview of image 'prism_whites-spectral.png'
prism_whites-spectral.png