POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Winamp is dead last ver. 5.666 : Re: Winamp is dead last ver. 5.666 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Winamp is dead last ver. 5.666
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 28 Dec 2013 11:56:44
Message: <52bf02cc@news.povray.org>
I was in touch yesterday with DJ Egg from Winamp Support and he wrote
that MPC-HC & VLC had .dts decoder and other decoders WinAmp didn't
have, because the authors were impossible to trace back, so maybe they
can simply take the free/Lite part of Winamp and open source it and
replace the codecs with those of MPC-HC & VLC also on codecs.com you can
find many codec packs, probably many of them legal or impossible to
rtace back, MPC-HC uses about the same codec set as 'K-Lite Mega Codec
Pack', so I think WinAMp could survive just fine being developed by the
community, but rumors has it that Micro$oft is trying to buy it, that's
kinda of bad news, those big companies don't do thing for free or
listening much to what people want and Windows Media Player it's not a
good player, full bugs and hanging, so I'm afraid that's the fait of
WinAmp; we'll have to see what happens and hope for the best.