POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Dec 2013 16:46:25
Message: <52bdf531@news.povray.org>
On 12/24/2013 2:08 AM, Warp wrote:
> Lars R. <rou### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> And to do this, you should calm down your own citizens so they don't
>> disturb your pervert game. And how to do that: Keep them dumb (e.g. by
>> shorting a broad education in your population), tell them again and
>> again your lies that you're fighting a common enemy, until even the last
>> one in your country beleave it without doubt. (And only a few remind
>> that your current "enemy" was bred by yourself some years ago. History
>> repeats itself.)
>
> You do realize that many muslim terrorist attacks have been executed by
> muslims who had lived and studied for years in a western country, some
> of them even having a higher education?
>
> It's more than just education. It is very much about the religion and
> its indocrination.
>
> I think that a very good demonstration of this is that recently a poll
> was performed in the UK, and one of the questions was about homosexuals.
>  From the about 500 muslims that participated in the poll exactly 100%
> opposed homosexuals. Many of these muslims had been born in the UK and
> had studied there all their lives.

Some of that can be fear too. Since its not acceptable to Islam, and
Islam doesn't have a lot of flexibility in such matters, unlike
Christians, who have sidelined their stricter sects, in favor of more
"love thy neighbor", than, "follow the rules", there is bound to be a
certain level of, "If I pick anything other than what Islam says I
should put down, then someone might find out, and I am going to not just
be in trouble with Allah, but other people.", going on with those polls.

Someone else was recently talking about the difference they saw between
what polls showed that Muslims thought in the Netherlands (I think it
was..), and the reality of dealing with those people every day (and it
was a Muslim saying this). They stated that the reality was not what the
polls reflected. That the polls showed the "official" stance, the one
the members where worried someone might find out they disagreed with,
which someone more hardline might call them on, and they would get in
major trouble over, if they where found out, but that the reality was
that almost no one they knew actually thought that way in reality.

In other words, its a case of, "I will go along with the hate and anger,
because someone might be watching." Their real attitudes may not in fact
reflect, at all, what the polls show, but they "think" that the polls do
show the real view, and none of them are willing to risk sticking their
head up, and finding out how many people around them agree with them
about it. They might turn out to be alone, and everyone else against them.

Pretty much the same thing has happened with every religion, if it comes
to that. Those that want to change risk everything, from their
perspective, to change things, or.. they turn on each other, to protect
themselves, because they are sure the ones that disagree outnumber them.
The real numbers might be 80% not giving a damn, but every single one of
those 80% is "standing alone", in a sea of people that they are sure
will condemn them for holding such an ungodly view.

That said, the other factor, specific to Western education, is culture
shock. The openness of the West runs very contrary to what most of these
people ever dealt with, and there are only two reactions you can have,
either abandon faith, or harden it, when confronted with the dissonance
between such vast successes, and denial of so much of the supposed
"righteous ideals" of a religion. Either it has be been gained via some
sort of cheat, or.. your faith has to be wrong, for someone steeped so
heavily in belief, and, they have already been fed plenty of, "They
cheated their way to success!", already, in most cases. But, its also
the "earn a degree, so you can wave it around, while denying the things
you got a degree in.", thing too, for some. There may be no intention at
all, from the start, to broaden their views, or learn. It is all about
learning the trappings of the West, so they can, while completely
failing to understand the subject, (much like certain creationists
getting degrees in biology, or geology, then turning that info in to a
distorted pretzel, for their own invalid arguments), present what, but
only to them, and other believers, sound like plausible explanations
about how the West works, and what its been doing.

The sad thing is, some of the crap certain political elements,
especially in the US, pull, would be enough to make an argument, without
needing to make crap up. But, that's not how propaganda works. You have
to keep shoveling new crap on the fire, to keep it going, otherwise they
might have time to look around and wonder what you are screwing up,
which has helped make life miserable, even without the West being
involved in it.

But, the have, at least to some extent, had a few nasty surprises (like
the Arab Summer), where it turned out people where not as stupid and
sheep like as they thought they where. But, yeah.. fear, I think, plays
far more in those poll results, that the actual real opinions, when
dealing with real people, instead of ideas.